The scorching summer heat is here once again. Many people specially kids will most likely suffer from bronchitis. Bronchitis is the inflammation of the bronchial tube lining, due to viruses. To further explain, let’s briefly touch on the primal function of the bronchial tube. The bronchial tube is an airway, which connects the trachea to the main organ of the respiratory system, the lungs. When a person accidentally catches this kind of a respiratory illness, the air finds it too difficult to pass through the lungs.
Generally, this particular respiratory infection is divided into two major types. These are the acute and chronic bronchitis. To differentiate, the Acute Bronchitis can be immediately acquired and has more severe symptoms and it is treatable in less than weeks. The most common cause of acute bronchitis is a viral or bacterial infection, but other causes may include irritants like tobacco smoke, air pollution, or chemicals.
On the other hand, the Chronic Bronchitis refers to a respiratory illness, which can be characterized as mild to severe and can even last for months or years, depending on the patient’s daily progress. Characteristically, the bronchial tube is unceasingly swollen. The major cause of chronic bronchitis is cigarette smoking, other causes are bronchial irritants, usually inhaled repeatedly by the affected person.
People who are suffering from bronchitis often try over-the-counter medications to manage the symptoms, but there are also many simple, natural home treatments that can provide relief. Below are some of the safest and most effective alternatives for bronchial tube inflammations.
Home Treatments for Bronchitis:
Ginger– This is commonly used in treating common colds. It has anti-inflammatory properties and immune system boosters, which will allow your body to fight this lethal respiratory infection. It helps relieve irritated, inflamed or swollen bronchial tubes. To do this:
- Add half a teaspoon each of ground ginger, cinnamon and cloves in a cup of boiled water. Stir well and drink the mixture for a few days to get relief.
- You can make an herbal tea by adding one teaspoon each of ginger powder and black pepper in a cup of boiling water. Let it steep for a few minutes, then add some honey. Drink it twice a day.
- You can also combine one teaspoon each of ginger powder, pepper, and cloves. Take it three times a day with honey or milk.
Turmeric– If you are going to use this mode of treatment, you will be able to expectorate the excessive mucus in your lungs for instant relief.
- Add one teaspoon of turmeric powder to a glass of milk.
- Boil it.
- Drink it two or three times a day. For faster results, do this on an empty stomach.
NOTE: This remedy is not suitable for people, who have gallbladder stones, hyper acidity, stomach ulcers or obstructive jaundice.
Salt Water– Make sure that you will gargle with salt water every day. Do this for about 2 to 3 times depending on the various signs and symptoms that you have at the moment.
- Simply add one teaspoon of salt to a glass of warm water and gargle with it. However, only an adequate amount of salt is necessary, as too much salt can cause a burning sensation in the throat and too little will not be as effective.
- You can gargle with salt water as often as you need. There are two benefits of this remedy. First, it will soothe the inflammation in the throat, and secondly, it will cut through some of the mucus causing irritation to the throat.
Garlic– Due to its antibiotic and anti-viral properties, garlic is highly beneficial for treating bronchitis, especially acute bronchitis. Home remedy procedure below:
- Take three garlic cloves.
- Peel and chop them.
- Put them in a glass of milk and boil.
- Drink it at night before going to bed.
Eucalyptus Oil – Steam therapy is very effective when suffering from bronchitis. Adding eucalyptus oil will soften the mucus in the obstructed airways and its antibacterial properties will help in the healing process.
- Simply add a few drops of eucalyptus oil to boiling water and cover your head with a towel so that you can inhale the steam. If eucalyptus oil is not available, you can use pine oil or tea tree oil.
- It can also be applied externally on the chest. This will help you expel the mucus and improve the functioning of the respiratory system.
Honey– is a natural way to deal with the cough that occurs with bronchitis. The antiviral and antibacterial properties present in honey will be soothing for the throat. At the same time, it will boost your immune system.
- Adding one teaspoon of honey to your regular cup of tea will help a lot when suffering from bronchitis.
- You can also add honey to warm lemon water to treat congestion and throat inflammation that often accompanies bronchitis.
Onions– The expectorant effect of onions helps dissolve mucus and phlegm, as a result, it provides a relief from bronchitis. At the same time, onion juice will prevent further build up.
- Simply eat one teaspoon of raw onion juice every morning on an empty stomach.
- Also add raw onions in your salad or use onions while cooking.
Epsom Salt– An Epsom salt bath can give relief from bronchitis symptoms, especially when suffering from acute bronchitis.
- To prepare the bath, add two to three pounds (one to one and a half kg) of Epsom Salt to warm bath water.
- When the Epsom salt is fully dissolved, immerse yourself in the bath for about a half an hour.
- If you have chronic bronchitis, do this twice a week. For acute bronchitis, do this every night or every other night.
- Combine one teaspoon of sesame seeds, one teaspoon of linseed or flaxseed, a pinch of common salt and one teaspoon of honey. Take this mixture daily before going to bed.
- You can also mix one-half teaspoon of dry sesame seed powder and two tablespoons of water and take it twice daily.
- Drink at least eight to 10 glasses of water daily. You can drink fruit juices and vegetable juices as well. In the morning, you can have a glass of water mixed with the juice squeezed from half a lime and a little honey.
- Do not drink caffeine or alcohol, which can lead to loss of extra fluid and thereby make the mucus tougher to dislodge.
Sesame Seeds– These seeds have medicinal properties that can treat bronchitis and help relieve chest pain associated with it.
Water– When suffering from bronchitis, it is recommended to keep your body well-hydrated and help maintain a productive cough by drinking water and clear liquids.
Give yourself a try of these natural remedies as a home treatment for Bronchitis. The ingredients recommended are easily available and should be stocked in usable quantity as these can play wonderful effect in recovery and can save heavy expenses too. However, if your symptoms get worse, consult a doctor.